Saturday, November 29, 2008

Off to Denver for Surgery

On Tuesday 11/18, I flew out of Sacramento Airport. After an uneventful trip (if you don't count 20 minutes of heavy turbulence and a 3-year old screaming 'This is like a rollercoaster!' as eventful) I touched down in Denver.

Martin and Roger had both planned to meet me at the airport, but for a number of reasons Martin was unable to make it. Those reasons didn't include a 7-day intensive Madden practice session with MaddenChamp07; at least that's what Martin claims.

Unfortunately Roger missed his connecting flight in Phoenix, for reasons I'll let him explain to avoid any public embarrassment. He was now arriving at 5:30p local time, so I leisurely grabbed some food, read a bit of 'The Yiddish Policeman's Union', and headed out to the shuttle to pick up my car. On my way, it eventually dawned on me that I still needed to get my luggage -- the only luggage left at the baggage terminal.

I grabbed the luggage, took a shuttle to the car, and made my way to the hotel where I would be for 2 days pre-surgery, and a few days post-surgery. Why it is that certain hotels don't show up in your GPS unit (affectionally known as 'Garmina') is beyond me, but I spent a good 90 minutes driving to, past, near, and beyond my hotel, before eventually re-locating it at the same time that Roger landed.

I checked in, sat down, grabbed a glass of water, and headed back out to pick Roger up at the airport. It turns out that the trip to/from the airport is only fifteen minutes. Tell that to Garmina.

With Roger finally in tow, we headed back to the hotel (where Roger was staying on the pullout couch for a couple days, in case anyone needed clarification), unpacked, and went grocery shopping so Stacey would have some basic foodstuffs when she arrived the next day.

If anyone ever tells you, while you're staying in Aurora, to "just drive down Peoria Street a couple miles..." promptly smack them with a wet sponge, and do otherwise. A couple miles on Peoria Street translates to 30-60 minutes, depending on traffic lights. Roger and I continually tested this theory while trying to find a grocery store, and it held every time. We eventually (by eventually, I mean several hours later) picked up everything we needed and turned in from sheer exhaustion.

Coming up Next: Pre-Op

1 comment:

Jenn Ann said...

Far more adventurous than my family - we stuck to eating at all of the restaurants surrounding the Aurora mall.